Incu-App is a 2-year Programme aiming to provide startup support to companies working on business innovation during their inception stages.
Incubatees will enjoy a full range of tailor-made support services and facilities that will help drive their business to the next level of development.
Companies in the following technology categories are eligible to welcome to apply to join the programme.
- Green Technology
- Information and Communications Technology (ICT)
- Material and Precision Engineering
- Work Premises
- Technology Support
- Business Support
- Financial Aid Package
HKSTP offers rental subsidy to admitted incubatees to give them more flexibility to allocate resources for R&D. Incubatees can also access ready-to-use co-working space or office premises at Hong Kong Science Park or InnoCentre.
HKSTP helps Incu-App incubatees to tap into the expertise in content development, application platforms and market support value chains.
HKSTP has partnership arrangements with:
HKSTP also helps bridge incubatees and universities to explore collaboration opportunities, such as licensing and joint projects as well as library services, to accelerate incubatees’ technical development.
To help startups establish networks, we organise matching events through which incubatees can find mentors, strategic partners and investors. We also provide advice on business plans, investment preparation and funding.
We take incubatees reach beyond the Park through promotion opportunities such as exhibitions, product launches, press releases and media interviews, business sharing and product demonstration sessions, as well as one-on-one business matching through Technologies from Science Park.
Financial Aid Package
To ensure incubatees achieve success, HKSTP offers funding support to each company to cover R&D and business development expenses.
The programme offers a Financial Aid Package with a maximum of HK$860,000 to each successful applicant.
(For technology and business development expenses)
Rental Subsidy (max.)
Mandatory criteria for applicants
- The applicant must be a Hong Kong registered technology start-up company limited by shares and established within no more than 2 years on or before the date of the application. HKSTP may request for proof including but not limited to audited financial reports of the applicant.
- Companies incorporated within 3 years may be considered if the applicant is a current member or a graduate of the Science and Technology Entrepreneur Programme (STEP) or was originally incorporated overseas.
- The founders must (legally and beneficially) collectively hold at least 51% of the applying company.
- The founders must be:
i. individual shareholders, or
ii. non-operating holding companies (as reflected by the Articles of Association or any other valid proof), or
iii. operating holding companies that fulfill admission criteria points 1-3.
- The applicant must have at least one full-time staff member; and all staff must be able to work in Hong Kong legally. The team of full-time engineers and technologists must, individually or collectively, own at least 10% of the applicant's equity. If the applicant has technology from a university or research institute and approved by the said institute, any shares held by the founding university professor(s) or technology inventor(s) shall count towards the 10% equity ownership requirement.
- At least 50% of the full-time staff must be engaged in technology-related work and based at the Incubation Centre and or approved centres.
- The applicant must be willing to comply with the following requirements throughout the incubation period once admitted into the programme:
i. There should be R&D activities carried out at the Incubation Centre space. No sales, marketing and retail activities are allowed within the space.
ii. The applicant’s co-working office and work bench setup at the Incubation Centre must be environmentally friendly (i.e. must not create smell, noise or other elements which may disturb others), should not handle hazardous materials (except in wet labs of Biotech SME Centre adhering to the HKSTP published safety standard and guidelines), and must be able to operate in an office building.
- Applicants that had joined or are currently participating in any incubation programmes operated by HKSTP are not eligible for the Incu-App Programme. In addition, each of the founding team members of the applying company cannot be:
i. a shareholder or a former shareholder who is currently working for or had worked for more than one company which is in or previously joined any incubation programmes operated by Hong Kong Cyberport Management Company Limited; or
ii. a founding team member of more than one company which is in or previously joined any incubation programmes operated by HKSTP.
- Require less than 1,600 sq ft of office space.
- Successful applicants should fulfill the admission criteria throughout the incubation period, and maintain at least one full-time staff member in the office at Hong Kong Science Park Technology Incubation Centre and/or approved centres, where they should conduct their core R&D work.
- The applicants should have a full disclosure of the shareholder(s)’ identities and holdings (up to the top level) of the applying entity. The general guideline is that should there be corporate shareholders, they should not be mature companies in the same industry involving in the R&D of the same or similar products.
Qualitative Assessment Criteria
- Quality and competence of the management team
- A sound business plan
- R&D content
- Plan feasibility as revealed in milestones
Milestone assessments are conducted every 3 to 6 months during the incubation period, in areas including but not limited to:
- Product development
- Business development
- Corporate development
- Cash flow status
- HKSTP service used
Incubatees are expected to show satisfactory performance in the milestone assessment to stay in the programme and continue to enjoy all programme benefits.